Bill Chapman <pagew...@interlog.com> Nov 28 11:29AM -0500 wrote:

>I have no idea about your problem, but just out of curiosity, why
>are you running >(Tiger) 10.4.6 and not Tiger >10.4.11? Just
>wondering...

Reply to Bill Chapman:

I use several programs under Classic which have no equivalent under
OS X.  Mac OS X 10.4.7 (and all later versions of Tiger) won't
automatically open files created under Classic in the application
that created them.  Instead it opens them with some other
application, not of my choice.

Worse yet, when OS X 10.4.7 (or later) is installed, without asking
the user's permission it changes the Creator of _all_ such files (of
which I have tens of thousands).  The original Creator code can be
restored for one file at a time with the Finder's Get Info...
command, but the Change All... option is broken in 10.4.7 and later;
it isn't feasible to restore the Creator manually for tens of
thousands of files.

I have found from experience that the latest version of Mac OS X that
does not behave this way is OS X 10.4.6, so this is the version I
continue to use.

My Mac at work is required by our IT department to run the last
version of Tiger, so I know first hand how inconvenient it would be
for me to run 10.4.11 on my iMac G5 at home.