Melvyn & Edith Halbert wrote:
> Bill Chapman <pagew...@interlog.com> Nov 28 11:29AM -0500 wrote:
>
>> I have no idea about your problem, but just out of curiosity, why
>> are you running >(Tiger) 10.4.6 and not Tiger >10.4.11? Just
>> wondering...
>
> Reply to Bill Chapman:
>
> I use several programs under Classic which have no equivalent under
> OS X.  Mac OS X 10.4.7 (and all later versions of Tiger) won't
> automatically open files created under Classic in the application
> that created them.  Instead it opens them with some other
> application, not of my choice.
>
> Worse yet, when OS X 10.4.7 (or later) is installed, without asking
> the user's permission it changes the Creator of _all_ such files (of
> which I have tens of thousands).  The original Creator code can be
> restored for one file at a time with the Finder's Get Info...
> command, but the Change All... option is broken in 10.4.7 and later;
> it isn't feasible to restore the Creator manually for tens of
> thousands of files.
>
> I have found from experience that the latest version of Mac OS X that
> does not behave this way is OS X 10.4.6, so this is the version I
> continue to use.
>
> My Mac at work is required by our IT department to run the last
> version of Tiger, so I know first hand how inconvenient it would be
> for me to run 10.4.11 on my iMac G5 at home.

Me thinks you have a problem specific to your setup.  I have Tiger
10.4.11 running on a G4 QuickSilver.  It has Classic installed and I
have a number of old programs on it and I have no problems with it
opening with the correct application.  In fact I have some real old apps
that I haven't used in years, I hadn't used them since I was using a
system running OS 9.  For some of the documents I didn't realize I still
had the app installed until I double clicked on the doc and it launched
the app under Classic.

And I have also used the "Change All" quite successfully.

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA