Greetings:

I got my iMac 17" G5 for free with a bad Logic Board.  I am going to have to
drop a minimum of $200 (it looks like) to get a good working one.  My iMac
does not have the cap problem that so many seem to have, yet the LB is VERY
flaky and sometimes looks like it is thinking about booting, but alas
remains dead.

You will put $400 on average in a G5 model which is going to give you about
another year of service before it is obsoleted by the Mac software community
(Sno Leopard 10.6 is Intel only) so the only viable models for ongoing
refurbishment are the Intel models, but they are expensive and will yield
little ROI if any.  I used to repair the G3 Slot loaders and for a while (5
or 6 years ago) those would be worthwhile, but obviously, you can pick those
up for Free to a good home or like $20 all day long.

Since I plan to repair my G5 for my own use, I can see spending the $200 on
the LB, but I am really struggling with even doing that and contemplating
selling my G5 for parts on eBay and trying to find a newer Intel model.

This, of course, is just my opinion... but I would not get into the
repairing the older iMacs unless you can afford to "break even" or take a
loss most of the time.

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Bruce Johnson
<john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>wrote:

> On Feb 28, 2010, at 3:41 PM, Austin Leeds wrote:
>
>   I'm thinking about buying some broken iMacs (any model but G3) off
>> eBay for refurbishment. Has anybody here been in their iMac and tried
>> to repair it, and how easy was it? Would it be worth it?
>>

> Probably not.
>
> G3 iMacs could probably not be sold for enough to pay for the cost of
> refurbishing, G4 iMacs were designed by Satan and are well-nigh impossible
> to repair, G5 iMacs are wonderful designs, but were then *manufactured* by
> Satan, and Intel iMacs are difficult to work on, yet unlikely to be
> available yet at prices making refurbishment cost-effective.
>

> --
> Bruce Johnson
> University of Arizona
> College of Pharmacy
> Information Technology Group
>
> Institutions do not have opinions, merely customs

J. Mike Needham, KD0JXP
jmikeneed...@gmail.com
Lawrence, Kansas 66046