Some good food for thought.  Thank you all!  I think I've found a possible
internal DVD replacement drive.  May give that a try if I can't find the
appropriate Handbrake settings.

Looking at Handbrake, it looks like I can either use an H.264 video codec or
MPEG-4 (FFmpeg) codec.  Any idea which of these I should be using?  I don't see
a way to use an MPEG-2 or MPEG-1 codec.

Also, I can output to either MP4 or MKV format.  Recommendations?

Thanks again,
Doug