On 01/02/2012, at 5:54 AM, Jonas Ulrich wrote:

You're right John, what I meant was that Leopard is becoming less and less
useful to an average user.

And yes, I completely forgot about Snow Leopard, that would also work.

-Jonas

G'day Kelly

As I see it, you need three things.

1. a backup system

2. More memory

3. An updated OS, with perian, flip4mac, & latest Flash driver.

Addressing 1.  If you can afford it, I would buy one of theseā€¦

http://www.newertech.com/products/ministack.php

Unfortunately the older model seems to have been discontinued, and the new one
not yet released. The benefit of them is they are quietly fan cooled (heating
can cause a problem in many external cases, as I've found to my detriment), and
they automatically turn on and off when your Mac does. Use the Firewire 400
connection. If you shop around you might get an older case, preferably fit it
with at least a hard disk as large as your iMac drive, or larger. If you want
to upgrade to Lion in the future, and use Time Machine instead of CCC, you
should get a drive at least one and a half times larger. Use the free Carbon
Copy Cloner, http://www.bombich.com/download.html   to back up as frequently as
you like. I suggest daily. Personally I've got three ministacks, with
TimeMachine hourly backup, and CCC daily and weekly backup.  Don't use Western
Digital hard drives in the cases; I suggest Seagate or Samsung.

Addressing 2. Looks like you'll have to take out at least one of the 512MB
sticks, and preferably replace it with a 2 GB stick. I'm in Oz, but I buy my
ram from OWC in the States.

Addressing 3. You can still  buy Snow Leopard from Apple,
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A  and provided you've got a fast
enough internet link, update to Lion electronically. Do this after you've
backed up your old system.