I have seen this non-booting behavior with USB3 drives connected through a
Thunderbolt connection to a Mac that does not support USB3 natively. They
can be mounted through TB, but only after the machine has booted, making it
impossible to boot off those drives.

I suspect that (making the huge assumption that it is not defective) the
Iomega FW chip does not support booting.

I just checked this device's customer reviews on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Iomega-Companion-External-35130-Silver/product-reviews
/B00576T1GG
I've never seen such hate for a single piece of equipment.

You would probably be better off returning it if you can, or just throwing
it away if you cannot.

On 5/18/16, 7:29 PM, "Eric Volker" <evol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well I got the enclosure, but things didn¹t go as planned. I got a deal on an
> enclosure that had once been an Iomega Mac Companion. I installed the SSD,
> hooked the enclosure up to my Firewire 800 port and it showed up on the
> desktop. I installed El Capitan and rebooted, but when the Mac rebooted it
> came up from the internal drive not the external one. Holding down Option
> while booting showed only the internal drive. The Firewire drive is visible in
> the Startup Disk preference panel, but selecting it accomplishes nothing.
> Rebooting it just comes up on the internal drive.
>
> Now for the fun part. It *will* boot if I hook up the drive via USB 2.0.
> However, that¹s pretty slow and I got this enclosure for the faster Firewire
> 800 port. Another curiosity is that the disk shows up as ³External RAID Media²
> in Disk Utility. It is assuredly not RAID, just a single 256GB SSD. Could this
> be the problem?
>
> I¹m in the process of testing the SSD over USB, but results so far are mixed.
> Any thoughts on getting Firewire working?

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.