I have done (am doing) this with a 2011 iMac. I have a Crucial 480GB SSD in
an ancient OWC FW800 drive case.

Using the BlackMagic Speed Test on the two drives shows the internal disk is
50% faster that the external SSD, but that does not show up in real-world
responsiveness.  No contest, really.

Responsiveness is MUCH better with the SSD than with the CCC clone of it
onto the 7200 rpm factory HD inside the iMac.

I cannot address the 400 vs 800 issue for you, as I don't have any FW400
drives.

I expect putting the SSD into the iMac would result in additional speed
gains, but for everyday use my current setup is fine for me (fwiw my large
file data disks are connected via a Thunderbolt/USB3 adapter; I have only my
OS and smaller files on the SSD).

--
Robert MacLeay
The original and only r...@aol.com

On 5/5/16, 3:07 PM, "Eric B. Volker" <evol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I¹ve been looking for ways to improve the responsiveness of my old iMac (24²
> mid-2007). I¹ve upgraded the hard drive already to a Samsung 5400RPM 2TB
> model, but I still get the beachball fairly often. I¹m not complaining - it¹s
> amazing that this thing can still run the latest OS. However, I would like
> something that responds better.
>
> Which leads me to my question. I had a hard time replacing the hard drive in
> this Mac, and don¹t want to repeat the experience, if possible. Can I put an
> SSD in Firewire 800 or 400 enclosure, and would I experience a significant
> improvement in responsiveness? Most people focus on the improvement in raw
> speed, which would be lost due to the relatively slow transfer rate of
> Firewire. However, one of an SSDs big advantages is in seek
> times/IOPs/latency, which I¹d still get with Firewire. So has anyone tried
> using an SSD in a Firewire enclosure, and did they see an improvement in
> performance? Firewire 800 is also a good bit more expensive than FW400; would
> it make a big difference?

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.