IF it shows up on the desktop.

But won't boot into....

Then the System Folder needs to be "Blessed"

Look up how one does that....

Been years....

Your iOmega enclosure is FINE, trust me.

They were bought out, did not go bust...

iOmega was BAD, about 1990...

After great success with the old ZIP drives...

Burning stuff did them in, for a while...

IWeve been using external enclosures since our 1990 Mac Classic,

with a 20MB SCSI Apple drive meant for the 1987 SE.

Given to us in 1997....

I use two FW800 LaCie d2's with my 2009 Mac Mini

One is IDE, the other SATA... 320GB, 7200 rpm in each case.

As my main drives. Were c. $25 on eBay....

The Mini's slow 320GB 5400 internal drive is used ONLY for Time Machine
backups.

A FW400 250GB 7200 rpm LaCie d2 is used with my 2007 white MacBooks lone
FW400 port.

Good luck

J.C.

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 8:29 PM, Eric Volker <evol...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well I got the enclosure, but things didn’t go as planned. I got a deal on
> an enclosure that had once been an Iomega Mac Companion. I installed the
> SSD, hooked the enclosure up to my Firewire 800 port and it showed up on
> the desktop. I installed El Capitan and rebooted, but when the Mac rebooted
> it came up from the internal drive not the external one. Holding down
> Option while booting showed only the internal drive. The Firewire drive is
> visible in the Startup Disk preference panel, but selecting it accomplishes
> nothing. Rebooting it just comes up on the internal drive.
>
> Now for the fun part. It *will* boot if I hook up the drive via USB 2.0.
> However, that’s pretty slow and I got this enclosure for the faster
> Firewire 800 port. Another curiosity is that the disk shows up as “External
> RAID Media” in Disk Utility. It is assuredly not RAID, just a single 256GB
> SSD. Could this be the problem?
>
> I’m in the process of testing the SSD over USB, but results so far are
> mixed. Any thoughts on getting Firewire working?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Eric

> ---
> "iMac Group" group.
> email to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.