An interesting fact about broken iMacs: the 27" iMacs of around 2011 vintage
have a nasty habit of bad connections to the graphics chip. If you don't mind
the challenge of a full iMac tear down, you can find a 27" with bad graphics
for under $300 and fix it with a $75 "reball" job (and of course that full iMac
rebuild)!

There was one nearby recently but I passed on it, I think I'll snag it next
time!

Russell Courtenay

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 6, 2016, at 9:49 PM, Bruce Johnson <john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
> wrote:
>

>> On May 6, 2016, at 5:40 PM, W.Adrian D'Alessio <fluxstrin...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I was not familiar with your model. I thought maybe it had a PCI slot behind
>> a trap door.
>
> No iMacs have ever had PCI slots.
>
>> If you have had it for a while I am rather surprised you do not have the
>> disassembly down to a fast routine.
>
> iMacs, at keast post the white plastic models, have been remarkably long
> lived. RAM is easy to get to, the Hard drive is retty much the only other
> thing that’s not part of the logic board. Working on them is not rocket
> science, but it’s not simple, either. I replaced the HDD in my mid-2010 model
> ad it took me an extra several days because I broke a tiny $2.95 cable that
> used a slightly different connector than the directions I had said. Making
> sure I didn’t break the heavy, delicate, horribly dust-attractive glass
> screen on my 27” model was the biggest hassle. Also I ended up fabricating a
> useful tool form a heavy paperclip to help pull up the LCD screen.
>
> <https://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/igi/e1yysSwMNh6o4xqh>

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.