Found recently https://fiplab.com/apps/memory-clean-for-mac that helps
somewhat speeding my ancient MacBook (2006 Core2 Duo, 2 GB, SSD). Give it a
try.

It helps with all those web pages that hog the RAM like there is no
tomorrow, and yes, closing unused tabs helps a LOT.

On 6 May 2016 at 00:57, Russell Courtenay <unknownid...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a 2008 20" iMac 2.66 Core2Duo with 2 GB of ram, a 3TB hard drive
> and 10.11.4 and sometimes it is dog slow. I can get 6 GB of ram used for
> about $70 on eBay and am thinking that might help.
>
> The modern Internet uses a phenomenal amount of resources just to view it.
> Firefox wants 1+ gig of ram usually but works better after a regular
> restart of the browser (of course if I closed half of those 2000 open tabs
> it might help!)
>
> The latest version of Safari shows ram usage for each tab and for some
> reason when I open a simple Yahoo search it suddenly wants 2 gigs just for
> that tab and here comes the beachball!
>
> I know ram is MY problem as whenever something suddenly slows down I try
> to get to the Activity Monitor - Memory window and find Firefox wants more
> ram than I've got! And of course it is trying to swap to hard drive to make
> it all fit which is where the beachball comes in...
>
> Adobe Flash is another thing, nearly unusable, allow it to start and
> suddenly Firefox wants an ADDITIONAL 2 gigs of ram! No way!
>
> Most everything else works pretty well, even old iMovie 8 from 2010.
>
> Russell Courtenay
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On May 5, 2016, at 9:28 PM, GMail Valter Psicof <valter.psi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > Il giorno 05/05/16 23.07, "Eric B. Volker" ha scritto:
> >
> >> I still get the beachball fairly often.
> > This sounds obvious but, how much Ram do you have?
> > If it's 2 GB or less, I strongly suggest to upgrade to 3 or - better - 4
> GB.
> >
> > 2 GB are fairly cheap nowadays, and it's often the most "bang for your
> buck"
> > upgrade available.
> >
> >> I¹m not complaining - it¹s
> >> amazing that this thing can still run the latest OS.
> > Which OSX version are you using?
> > I think you know that, usually, the newer the OS, the slower it is.
> > If I were you, I wouldn't go past 10.9 on your iMac.
> >
> > I have an Early 2009 iMac, and I'm still mainly using OSX 10.6 because
> it's
> > the more stable and faster on this machine.
> > On a secondary partition I have OSX 10.9, for instances where I need to
> use
> > some newer app.
> >

> > --
> http://groups.google.com/group/imaclist
> >
> > ---
> Groups "iMac Group" group.
> an email to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

> ---
> "iMac Group" group.
> email to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "iMac
Group" group.
to imaclist+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.