Dear guys,
do u think lonewolf was right by saying that we need to discuss anything in
English?

I am more than agree with Siti Nurbaya that most Indonesian are quiet and
still believe that silent is golden, that having opinion,  debating,
criticizing is considered as emotional, childish, not mature. This
collective feeling, as far  as I know, rooted in Javenese values, as we can
see, some non-Javanese Indonesian, are more straightforward and expressive.

That is y, Indonesian's image of a leader is somebody who is untouchable,
never say or do wrong, or what Javanese said as "sabdo pandhito ratu" which
means that what have been said by the leader, will be a law, will always
right. If u learn from the way Soeharto lead Indonesia, none of his
statements were wrong, since he never say anything. There were his
employees, the "begundal", who said things which sometimes wrong, but not
him.

Ms next president, is as smart as him, or by accident is just because dunno
anything to say (I'm not sure which one is right) win the heart of most
Indonesian, just because she said nothing. This sound funny for people who
used to believe that everything should be brought to the surface, to be
transparent, to be discussed and solved.

So,
dont expect too much from Indoz-netter, they're just the product of culture
which consider debating, criticizing, is a shame. Conflict is somethin to be
avoided. The values suggested that we have to live in harmony, as lonewolf
himself, exactly expressing it:

>7. Why don't we live in peace, love and care one another. If you don't want
>to be hurt don't do that to others. We are brothers man.....

One thing 4 sure, values are not logic, so nobody knows which one is the
right one: silent is golden or silent caused problems.

However, the world is changing, Indonesia is changing, and I found it out
last week, when my daughter invited her friends from her elementary school
to celebrate her birthday. I met her friends and surprised. They were
talking to me, having long conversation with me, without shy. Most of them
are very expressive, articulate, self-confidence.

Moreover, my daughter told me, that during class, her friends used to ask
questions to their teacher, sometimes if they didnt agree of something, they
speak up, asking y and still if they were not satisfied, they would
questioning, criticizing, debating their teacher.

I am the one who doesn't believe that silent is golden can be applied in all
situations esp. governing a country. Looking to my daugter friends I was so
happy, believing that our future in their hand would be better.

Noor

Kirim email ke