> We are getting close to releasing Cyrus v2.1 (yeah, I know I've said
> this a bunch of times already) and we are leaning towards making it
> dependent on SASL v2.  We would like to do this for a number of reasons:

<...>

> We would like to get as much feedback (pro and con) on this as possible
> before we make a final decision.

I'd support this decision. I really want to see SASL 2 so I can have my
pwcheck replacement (which will actually now be a saslauthd replacement)
know what service is calling it and respond differently by service. With
SASL 1 this requires compiling multiple versions of the library, whereas
with SASL 2 this is part of the saslauthd wire protocol, IIRC.

However SASL 2 may have some little 'gotchas' hiding away that won't be seen
until people start rolling it out in a range of production systems. And of
course by doing Cyrus 2.1 and SASL 2 at the same time there's more changes
to debug if something goes wrong.

So in an ideal world I'd like to see Cyrus 2.1 come out with SASL 1 support,
with Cyrus 2.2 coming out maybe even simultaneously with SASL2 support.

Just my $0.02,
  Jeremy