On 22/11/01 13:39 +1100, Jeremy Howard wrote:
> The .index, .cache, ... files are Berkeley DB files, I believe
> (www.sleepycat.com). I'd also like to know more about what's stored where
> and how, so that our webmail app can use them directly rather than going
> through the IMAP server to speed things up.

Hmmm, cyrus is supposed to be a black box solution. This means that
access should only be through the IMAP/POP/KPOP interface and not
directly over the filesystem.
What cyrus does internally should not be the concern of the
administrator/user.

This is good from both the developer and administrator point of view,
and prevents hardcoded solutions from being put in place.
Even if the internal format changes for some reason, it should not
affect your application, and the IMAP interface provides a standard API.

I don't think I need to specify why using a standard published API is
good.

Devdas Bhagat