>From the AV Co-op point of reference.

1) Proxima / InFocus originally very good projectors, but have fallen way
behind. 2-3 years ago the picture quality was poor compared to the other units
we evaluated.

2)The last few years we have felt that LCD projectors had better color, but our
Fall shoot-out we saw a few DLP projectors that were very good.  Optima has
added more colors to their color wheel and where in the past DLP could not show
a bright yellow, they can now.

3) Optoma projectors do not need or have filters.  The DLP engine is a sealed
unit and dust is not supposed to effect the unit.

4) Lamp Life.  It is pretty common that all projectors have either a 3000 hr
lamp life or a 4000 hr lamp life.  The only exception I have seen was 3 years
ago Phillips (I think) offered a 6000 hr lamp life.  All projectors have an
Economode where the lamp brightness is reduced to save lamp life.

5) Until projectors have integrated "N" wireless don't expect to show video.  I
have a wireless projector and have went wireless a few times, but I ended up
switching to a VGA cable to present.  Some of the newer projectors I think have
better software and will probably work well with any content except video.

6) Look at the projectors on the AV Co-op.  Twice a year we bring in all the
projectors that were bid.  We have a "Shoot Out" of all the projectors in each
class.  The shoot-out process includes static pictures, computer applications,
DVD video through s-video connection as well as HD video performance currently
using analog VGA.  Projectors in each category are awarded by performance,
cost, and features.

7) Standardization:  I wish this could be simpler, but unfortunately Data
Projectors have been advancing at a rate far faster than the computer industry.
 Take Proxima for example, in the beginning Proxima/InFocus was one of the best
performing projectors on the shoot-out, then became some of the worst
peforming.  Most companies today are refreshing or replacing projectors every
year, sometimes sooner.  Unfortunately the best way to standardise is to
purchase all of your projectors at the same time.  From an operations
standpoint though use of the Aver-Key Video Processor for the projector input
does make the end-user experience consistent even if you have different
projectors.  Also "Networked" projectors are coming down in price.  The
benefits of the "Networked" projectors include a software application that an
administrator can see the status of all the projectors at once.  Is the unit on
or off, Lamp Hrs and such.  Also you have the ability to power on or off any or
all the projectors remotely, or even change the video inputs.
 Network features so far to my knowledge are vendor specific so if you want the
Networked projectors you need to stay with one vendor.

Our next Projector Shoot-out is March 3rd in Marshalltown.  Anyone is welcome
to attend and view our Shoot-Out process as well as see for your self how
different models perform.  Let me know if you want to attend and I will get you
directions.