From: info-tech-ow...@aea8.k12.ia.us [mailto:info-tech-ow...@aea8.k12.ia.us]
On Behalf Of Richardson,Tony
Sent: Thursday, April 01, 2010 4:33 AM
To: info-tech@aea8.k12.ia.us
Subject: RE: [info-tech] Electronic Devices

Karl,

No offense taken...

Nice Utopia you live in and that bubble will burst as soon as some parent is
offended by what their student is allowed to do at school or a student in
the hallway takes your servers down. Perhaps the loss of your erate funding
will burst your bubble when it is discovered that your not CIPA compliant.
Just too many threats out there to not do a little.

Please don't get me wrong I'd love to not worry about devices and who's
doing what. The problem is that I am contracted to keep it all running. Web
2.0 functions and mobile devices... love the concept and will try to safely
develop in that direction.

The problem with telling the staff anything is that they won't do it. They
have their own job to do and don't have time to do yours. I don't spend my
day tracking down proxies. Just block generic TCP from the LAN to the WAN
which forces their proxy software (yes there is portable app software) to
use port 80 then incorporate OpenDNS into your servers as forwarders seems
to handle nearly all of it.

Karl you have inspired me though I am going to shut down Sophos and open the
firewall up immediately... power to the people! :-)

  _____