I am sure this dicussion could go on forever . . .  and since I'm on vaca.
enjoying a cup of coffee and doing little to nothing, I might as well take
the opportunity to offer my two cents.
:-)

I think there is a need for balance; however I strongly believe in the
concept of teaching people to be responsible users of technology.  Surely
this is some type of 21st Centrury Skill -- especially as we look at
developing students to enter the workforce?  Studies have shown that places
that allow cell phone usage in the classrooms -- with guidelines and
expectations -- really have fewer problems than those of us who ban their
use.  These are devices --wireless and data -- that students aready carry
on them. Especially in times of financial situations we are in -- shouldn't
we be finding ways to embrace this, and establish guidelines -vs- our time
spent on how not to allow it and ban it?  Staff need to be trained and
guided on how to use these devices in the classroom.  Students need to be
trained on appropriate use during school hours.  To assume it's all bad and
nobody will use it correctly - not sure if I agree with that either.  We
often assume everyone knows these things, and well, we know what happens
when one assumes.  ** At this point, I will interject, yes, we still have
cell phone "bans", although some teachers have taken the initiative to
allow these to be used in the classrroom periodically with good results.  I
am hoping part of out tech focus on PD next year will be allowing and using
these devices. . .   and how,in turn, teachers can teach students
appropriate usage of these devices.

These would be discussions and brainstorming sessions that I would love to
be a part of with my technology peers at a possible future technology round
table for a tech. mtg.  We all don't have to leave agreeing, but as
technology leaders in our schools, and the area, wouldn't it be great to
discuss ways we use this, problems we encounter,  possible problems and
solutions, etc.?

Have a blessed Easter, everyone!
Jackie