Hi Maren,
        I did a little searching, but then I wanted to see the overview that
you were going to write, to get some hints about some different search
terms.   (I'm not very knowledgeable about this.)  So far, I've found a few
tutorials (on writing SVG).  Although I agree that we probably want to limit
the "unofficial links", as much as possible.
        Martin replied to me privately (for some reason), saying he didn't
think a new menu item is needed, and that he thinks the new page about SVG
should go in Develop menu.
        It sounds like the page should have 2 sections: How Inkscape Uses
SVG2 and Learn SVG.

All best,
brynn

PS --
        Either I was once again guilty of writing too long of an email, or
simply no one knows what book is referenced in my DDG search, which found
this description of the Learn SVG website.

"A site for the book Learn SVG: The Web Graphics Standard, which is a
beginner-level book presented in a workbook-like format, covering the main
aspects of SVG. Includes examples and tutorials."

I can't find that book mentioned anywhere on that site.
        Also, there is more content on learnsvg.org domain, with perhaps the
most important content http://learnsvg.com/tutorials/tutorialBasics/ which
is also not linked (not that I could find).
        It seems like a good site, but certainly lacking some vital
navigation!
        OH!!  I found it.  I don't know why in the world a website set up to
accompany a book, doesn't have a link to the book *anywhere* on the site!!
But here it is:
-- free PDF download:  http://www.scribd.com/doc/58271695/Learn-SVG
-- purchase:
http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/5485/Learn-SVG-The-Web-Graphics-Standard
        Those should probably go on Books and Manuals page?