On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 at 19:42, Rowan Tommins <rowan.coll...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Which brings me back to my earlier point: I wonder how much of the
> reaction is really about e-mail itself, and how much is just the
> documentation and sign-up forms you encounter *before* you hit the list.
> Because if it's the latter, migrating the entire community to a new
> platform won't help - we'll still suck at introducing anyone to that
> platform - and most of what we need is someone who's good with words to
> update some website copy.

I also see a lot of user about the signup process just not working (which
was also mentioned in this thread),
users may understand how to signup, but upon doing so, don't get signed up
at all.

I think a move to github discussions would be better than a mailing list,
benefits include

   1. Choosing discussions to take part in, mailing lists are just an all
   or nothing deal.
   2. XPosting between issues, PRs and discussions.
   3. You can reply to discussions, PRs, issues via email for those who
   want to keep doing that.
   4. Contrary to this mailing lists belief, a lot more PHP devs who are
   wanting to contribute to PHP
   have a github account already versus access to the mailing list.
   5. Discussion categories
   6. General QoC, including code blocks, markdown, clean web interface and
   choosing what discussions
   you want to take part in and not get notifications for disicussions you
   dont care about.
   7. Moderation, What would happen if a user decided to spam or flame the
   maillist?
   Once the email is sent you cant delete it from everyone's inbox,
   everyone would get it,
   and how long would the response to ban the user be?

The only downside i can think of is threading, github only does level-2
threading.