On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 at 20:41, Arvids Godjuks <arvids.godj...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Here's a question: Who is going to be in charge of maintaining the GitHub
> org and administrating it?
> As someone who does community management for a long long time, I forsee
> someone needing that to be their life for a project of this scale. Probably
> multiple people. Paid for their work, I might add.

I don't know, there are already 40+ members in the group, i don't know who
has what permissions though.

> While we can't really say for sure how it would turn out, drawing on my
> experience with online communities of all sorts and seeing what others had
> to deal with on Github, things can get our of control fast.
> GitHub is also not a suitable space to have RFC discussions and all that -
> it's just not the right medium for that. Feedback - yes, gaging a wider
> community for some feedback - sure. And maybe some of the PHP's mailing
> lists can be moved to Github, since there are many.
>

> But internal development lists need to stay where they are. These lists
> are not meant for the general public to drive by and throw in a question or
> two. The noise-to-signal ratio already at times is too high on this list,
> now imagine 10-20-30x the activity that Github will bring. It will become
> unmanageable. You are also required to police your org.
> You also ignore the biggest thing: Github is owned by Microsoft, and
> Microsoft is an American company. It abides by US laws, politics and so on.
> That has consequences and puts PHP project under the same umbrella, which
> the mailing list is not under. Github (Microsoft) can't decide to ban
> someone or ask for someone to be removed as a core developer from the
> mailing list. On Github - they can.
>
> Well there are plenty of mailing list that could be trailed on. PHP-DOCS
for example, could be moved to a discussion board on the php-docs
repository.
https://github.com/php/doc-en

RFCs dont have a repository to belong too.

> If people want to mirror internals to GitHub and manage it all and then
> feed back the information into the list with links and feedback -
> personally be my guest. But let's get one thing clear - email has been and
> is the most critical communication tool out there and that is not going to
> change. All those Slacks, Discords, Githubs, Microsoft Teams (why MS sucks
> at making any type of messaging platform so badly?) in the end do not
> replace email at all. Your email client cannot go offline just because
> Amazon US-WEST-1 has died again (yes, it dying is basically a meme now). Or
> because your provider had a major outage, so now you can't open Github. Or
> someone misconfigured a BGP route and took down half the internet with it.
> You can't have a copy of github on your phone, laptop, desktop or any other
> device stored locally on each one of them giving you resiliency not to lose
> all that data. What if github gets hacked and someone goes and nukes a
> bunch of data? Or some DMCA takedown gets claimed against the org and
> Github is required to comply by law? It does not matter that it might have
> been bogus or frivolous - unless you have the funds to hire a lawyer and
> defend yourself in court from which jurisdiction the DMCA came, you are
> stuffed as a Thanksgiving turkey.

The internet is still the internet and all those issues can still effect
email. I use gmail and if googles email servers go down email the mail
server that send the email doesnt have retry setup I wont get that email.
If my internet goes down I wont get the emails untill its back up. If the
server PHP used for the maillist server goes down nothing get sent/received.
The internet and everything connected to it can and will go down. Email
isn't magically unaffected by that fact.