On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 at 23:05, tag Knife <fennic...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Apr 2023 at 20:41, Arvids Godjuks <arvids.godj...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> If people want to mirror internals to GitHub and manage it all and then
>> feed back the information into the list with links and feedback -
>> personally be my guest. But let's get one thing clear - email has been and
>> is the most critical communication tool out there and that is not going to
>> change. All those Slacks, Discords, Githubs, Microsoft Teams (why MS sucks
>> at making any type of messaging platform so badly?) in the end do not
>> replace email at all. Your email client cannot go offline just because
>> Amazon US-WEST-1 has died again (yes, it dying is basically a meme now). Or
>> because your provider had a major outage, so now you can't open Github. Or
>> someone misconfigured a BGP route and took down half the internet with it.
>> You can't have a copy of github on your phone, laptop, desktop or any other
>> device stored locally on each one of them giving you resiliency not to lose
>> all that data. What if github gets hacked and someone goes and nukes a
>> bunch of data? Or some DMCA takedown gets claimed against the org and
>> Github is required to comply by law? It does not matter that it might have
>> been bogus or frivolous - unless you have the funds to hire a lawyer and
>> defend yourself in court from which jurisdiction the DMCA came, you are
>> stuffed as a Thanksgiving turkey.
>>

> The internet is still the internet and all those issues can still effect
> email. I use gmail and if googles email servers go down email the mail
> server that send the email doesnt have retry setup I wont get that email.
> If my internet goes down I wont get the emails untill its back up. If the
> server PHP used for the maillist server goes down nothing get sent/received.
> The internet and everything connected to it can and will go down. Email
> isn't magically unaffected by that fact.

A joke about "people who don't do backups and people who now do backups"
kinda fits.
Those who care - those have their clients configured to fetch and store
their emails locally constantly. I have my phone configured to grab all
emails and have them available offline.  IMAP/POP3 hasn't gone anywhere
too. Having things available offline is something I appreciate more and
more. People have different workflows, and there is a surprising amount of
people I meet who purposefully avoid being constantly online for all kinds
of reasons.
--

Arvīds Godjuks
+371 26 851 664