On Wed, Apr 17, 2024, at 2:45 PM, Matteo Beccati wrote:
> Hi Saki,
>
> Il 17/04/2024 16:30, Saki Takamachi ha scritto:
>> Hi Matteo,
>>
>>> Thanks for the feedback. I will reference this issue as duplicate too in
>>> the RFC.
>>
>> Thanks for the reference to the issue.
>>

>>> I'm certain if we dig deep enough we'll find a few more.
>>
>> Agree. Maybe we can find something other than PostgreSQL.
>>

>> I have read through your RFC. If we change the default scanner from the
>> current, is there a possibility that an unintended BC Break will occur? I
>> don't think there is a problem with MySQL, but I'm a little worried about
>> other drivers.
>
> I did a quick research and both Oracle and SQL Server seem only to
> understand double single quotes.
>
> I agree we need more research, but it's already 4 database drivers we'd
> be fixing by switching the default parser to standard SQL quotes.

This all seems logical, but having separate parsers would mean that the SQL
strings are no longer portable, yes?  Eg, many frameworks and CMSes try to
(claim to) support multiple DBs transparently.  (MySQL and Postgres and SQLite,
usually).  Some even recommend using SQLite for testing, but MySQL for prod.
This change would break that, wouldn't it?  Because the escaping would
necessarily be different for MySQL and SQLite, and thus the queries would break
on one or the other?

--Larry Garfield