so i can not use a lib that switched to namespaces in my old code that does not support namespace?

You definitely can. You'd have to use names like A::B::C instead of A_B_C but if the library "switched" then you probably expect some change, right?

i have to rewrite my whole code to use the new version of a lib that has switched to namespace?

You'd have to do search-and-replace for _ to ::, yes.

thats makes transition really easy ... so why should any lib switch to namespace if this implies all apps using this libarary needs to rewrite their code?

Because it makes using library easier. If it isn't good for you, don't switch :) The rest of PHP isn't going to disappear, you still can use it.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]