Hello Larry,

 even if their other main language is JS - they still do not have namespaces
or packages and even if both languages have something. I'd rather confuse
people that only know two languages which are very different anyways than
confusing the probably much bigger group of people that know C++ and Java as
well. Remember that C++ and Java together are still responsible for around
50% of all code written nowadays.

marcus

> On Monday 13 August 2007, Tijnema wrote:
>> >
>> > Exactly. That was my main point. And, as I said,ECMAScript 4 will most
>> > probably be the main other language for most ordinary PHP developers,
>> > not Java and certainly not C. Especially the newbie ones!
>> >
>> >  From a pedagogic point of view I'd say "namespaces" is the better name.
>> >

>> > Lars Gunther
>>
>> Uhh, ECMAScript??

> ECMAScript is the formal name for what most people call Javascript.
> Technically Javascript is the Mozilla implementation of ECMAScript and
> JScript is the MS implementation.  70% of the world just calls
> it "Javascript", and 29% calls it "Ajax" because they don't know any
> better. :-)

> I believe the original point is that for most PHP programmers their other main
> languages will be Javascript and SQL, not C++ or C#, so if the goal is to use
> a name that's predictable for someone coming from another language we should
> assume Javascript as that other language, not Java or C#.

> --
> Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ICQ: 6817012

> "If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of
> exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea,
> which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to
> himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession
> of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it."  -- Thomas
> Jefferson

Best regards,
 Marcus