Marc,

This is not the right reason for naming it namespace.

Example:

Say I am writing a new language. I want to introduce something similar
to functions. But since OO is popular and sounds nice.. why not call
it method on an object?

People are asking for objects.. I'll just give them objects.

It's not about the popularity of a word, but the meaning of it. If it
resembles more of a package, let's call it package (as it does
currently, namespace should be nested.. but that's my opinion).

Regards,
Olivier