Stanislav Malyshev wrote:
If PHP team release in the news:

PHP has namespace support!
OR
PHP has package support!

PHP has namespaced package support.

Which, is what the implementation is.

Or worked with different ones enough to understand that "packages" is used for a zillion of different things, while namespace is quite well-defined concept. I quoted the wikipedia a number of times, let me quote it once again:

Wikipedia also define the term MVC. But alas, that is a conceptual definition, not blueprints for implementation.

The fact of the matter is that when it comes down to implementation, some elements of what we have might fit into both the realm of namespaces and packages. But the general taste this will leave in peoples mouthes is package, even if it is a Grapple.

C# is the most intuitive implementation of namespace I have seen to date. I vote +1 on moving in that direction. Unfortunately, the current implementation doesn't have braces; this (consequently) adds a FILE restriction into the "namespace" feature. The moment that FILE restriction was entered into the game, it started to taste, look, and feel more like a package paradigm, than a pure namespace paradigm. Also, considering that limitation placed into namespace, we can be sure that the most common usage senario for said feature will look like building library "packages". Point in case is how the ZF has used a pesudo-namespace-ing class name to accomplish the very same thing.

Ideally, we call this packages now, and implement the C# style namespaces in the future ;) But I am certain thats a statement/concept worth flaming.

+1 on package, it makes the most sense regardless of the marketing draw of "namespace" support.

-ralph