On 16 Aug, 2007, at 1148, Stanislav Malyshev wrote:

You can use zendspace. (Gregory) If you want me to get Johannes patch
and convert it to zendspace, just tell me.

So it goes like this:
PHP Group: "Good news everyone! PHP now has zendspaces!".
PHP users: "WTF???"

PHP Group: "It's like a namespace -- but, you know, the PHP way."
PHP users: "Awesome!"

Alternately:

PHP Group: "Good news everyone! PHP now has namespaces!".
PHP users: "Awesome!"
PHP users: "Wait.. WTF? These don't act like namespaces - where are the braces?" PHP users: "These act more like... Java packages. Why are they called namespaces?"

I would suggest that the world at large will react in the same fashion as this list. Using a name already in use by the most popular programming language in the world is going to create the expectation that the feature works in the same way. Using a different name will not create that false expectation, nor the subsequent confusion.

My $0.02
scott.