On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Andi Gutmans wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Derick Rethans wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 20 Aug 2007, Andi Gutmans wrote:
> >
> > > No I'm absolutely not OK with removing this switch and as we currently
> > > did most of the implementation for it and are maintaining it I see no
> > > reason to remove it. 95% of our users couldn't care less about native
> > > Unicode support except for the performance hit they'd take due to the
> > > slower functions and increased memory usage. For most of them they gain
> > > nothing and only loose.
> > > Anyway, don't want to reignite the thread here. I will take it offline
> > > to discuss with the people who have been involved in this project and
> > > discuss further. The mailing list here isn't exactly working.
> >
> > What makes you think that any other group can agree on this?
>
> I don't think it's a matter of agreeing but rather we can try and
> figure out how to get out of this stale mate. This includes going down
> the path I suggested which includes doing some more homework to figure
> this out.

[snip]

> Anyway, as I suggested, let's do more homework. We started and it
> wasn't a pretty sight. But still lots to do. There seem to be enough
> passionate people on this list to actually port 3-4 apps over and give
> us some more input on the answers we really need.

And the homework being porting applications to see if this works? In
order to find all the issues you'd need a fairly big application and
there would be nobody willing to port 100.000 LoC just to see whether it
works.

regards,
Derick

PS. and ffs, can you please stop the top posting and the mangling of
quoted text? I assume us as technies can deal with e-mail in a sensible
way.

--
Derick Rethans
http://derickrethans.nl | http://ez.no | http://xdebug.org