On Nov 29, 2007 6:03 AM, Derick Rethans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2007, Marcus Boerger wrote:
>
> >   I do not care for IBM problems. Not at all. If people want to commit
> > they can do it in their free time. If IBM now thinks they have to make
> > PHP suitable for their own stuff then they are obviously willing to
> > spend quite some interest because they have a much bigger business
> > interest. That said I am confident they can find ways to deal with it
> > inside IBM itself. But they do not like to do it as that would be much
> > more expensive for them. Also the trouble is that then they would need
> > to be real open source.
>
> To add to this, I think that if IBM (and others) are so keen on having
> PHP support their nice databases, they should also realize that it is
> them that should be nice to *us* and not the other way around. We (as in
> PHP project) shouldn't have to change the ways how we're dealing with
> contributions at all. It should be the big companies that actually have
> a financial interested in PHP supporting their software that open up
> more and appease us.
>
> regards,
> Derick
>
> --
> Derick Rethans
> http://derickrethans.nl | http://ez.no | http://xdebug.org

    Well, like I said at the tail of my last message, I was exhausted.
 This morning, over a nice, hot cup of coffee (very welcome after
coming in from the snow outside), I took a better look at the whole
thing.  That, coupled with your responses (thank you, Rasmus, Marcus,
and Derick), gives a much clearer picture.  What concerns me now is
that I - and I'm sure many others - wasn't even aware of this until
this thread popped up.  It almost seems like the beginnings of a
long-term hostile takeover plan, beginning quietly in the shadows.

--
Daniel P. Brown
[office] (570-) 587-7080 Ext. 272

If at first you don't succeed, stick to what you know best so that you
can make enough money to pay someone else to do it for you.