On 29/11/2007, Steph Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > What I really don't understand is why so many people are so quick to jump
> > into "us vs. them" attitude. Is there a war or what? Isn't there enough
> > conflict so that one must look so hard to create a new one?
> > Or maybe it is worth considering that having good database support is good
> > for *both* PHP and IBM?
>
> Stas - we don't even know what they're planning to put into CVS. Just that
> there's a new module there that nobody wants to talk to php.net about
> (apparently) and that has a CLA attached. You say 'good database support',
> but that's one thing more than we know. Nobody was very happy about it the
> last time there was a CLA attached to a php.net project, so why would they
> be happy about it now?
>
> As for 'us vs. them' - surely the CLA and the ensuing silence are the
> separators here, rather than the protests against the lack of transparency?
>
> - Steph

>From my understanding of CLA's it mainly deals with patent sharing.

What patents does PHP own/license?

I would guess IBM have a LOT more patents than PHP. But PHP isn't a
real entity (again, as I understand it) - how can it own anything?

So, what, exactly, is the fuss all about?

Surely all this "us/them", "silence behind doors", etc., is just FUD?

If IBM, or anyone, wants to submit code to PHP it can only improve things.

We do have peer-review after all. If I can't even get 2 double quotes
into the windows version of exec() to allow it to support more things
with no BC, surely you're not going to just lay down and let IBM ruin
the game (and I'm not even saying they are going to ruin the game,
just that you have the option of not including their code!).

The idea of a major world player contributing to our lill' old PHP
sounds really exciting. The more the merrier, as long as the
peer-review process works (and it seems to have kept me out of the
core well enough!), let them come!

Richard.

--
-----