This tells me that I need to have all patents that the code infringes upon. I know that there is this "licensedable by You" thingi in there, but sorry I cannot parse run on sentences like that. Does licenseable by You mean that I have to grant the license or that I am legaqlly entitled to even grant that license? I was taught in school to use the "." every so often and if lawyers don't know how to construct licenses that contain run on sentences, then I guess I am not signing their bla bla.

That's of course is your choice, but if per chance you wanted to understand what it says instead of finding a reason to reject it, here's what you could do: 1. Believe me (not being a lawyer) when I say "licenseable by you" means you can (entitled) to give license for them, and the whole sentence means that you grant license to patents that: a. You can grant license to (otherwise it would be stupid to require you to grant license to something you can't) b. Needed to use the work (again, it would be stupid to require you to grant license to some patents that have nothing to do with the work) Meaning, from the whole set of all patents, you choose ones that posses qualities (a) and (b) and if this set is not empty, this is what you are licensing by signing the CLA and contributing.
2. Consult a lawyer

I'd go the first route, but that's me :)

BTW - I hope you don't think that if you didn't sign the CLA and you contributed code to PHP that you didn't have rights to contribute, not signing would help you in any way. Or that if you contributed code that violates patents, not signing CLA would somehow make it any less trouble.

entitled to license. Which in turns means to me that 3. requires that I grant a license to all patents the code infringes upon and that number 4. mandates that I actually have the legal right to grant those licenses.

No, it does not. It means you grant a license to all patents the code infringes AND you can grant the license to (either as individual owner or as authorized representative of a corporate entity). If you don't have such patents, then you should do whatever you should do in all other cases - if the code is your own and you don't know of any trouble with it, contribute it, otherwise don't.
P.S. IANAL, for those who didn't know that :)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.zend.com/
(408)253-8829   MSN: [EMAIL PROTECTED]