On 03.02.2008, at 20:04, Steph Fox wrote:

Moin Lukas,

Now, PECL has a couple of CLA'd modules already. I don't like them being there, and you have stated your own opinion loud and clear. I think we should be looking for some way to separate out CLA'd PECL modules to elsewhere but leave the PECL structure in place for those modules. It's important to offer at least that much, because as long as the licensing is sound, CLA'd or not CLA'd doesn't impact end users - just contributors.

Well thanks to a separate PEAR channel, we have all the infrastructure easily setup to have a different place for users to pick up the code. Or are you more concerned about the CVS, than the distribution of the packages?

Eh? No, I'm concerned about binaries in the Windows version. We just don't have a working pecl install option. If anyone wants CVS they can use cvs or tortoisecvs or whatever, but that's irrelevant to users...

Well Greg has long been talking about adding the ability to bundle binaries in PECL packages. Not sure if this is included in the next generation installer Pyrus. Again, I personally do not think that the distribution we ship would be so radically different, so this would not be an issue that would increase in importance. However sure, making it easy to get binaries to people who cannot compile would be a great thing for PECL in general.

regards,
Lukas