On 03.02.2008, at 19:24, Steph Fox wrote:

I see no point to discuss solutions for some unknown entities willing
to contribute when they do not consider to introduce themselves. When
they don't explain clearly why we should do the move and what will be
the actual gains for us (read: for "us" not for them). Until a step in
this/our direction is not done, I will not see a point to think about
solutions as it means they don't really care about us but Zend and
associates (as they seem to communicate only with them as far as I
understand).

Pierre has a point here. So far we've heard from: Wez, Andi and Jay. (We've also heard from Dan, Adam and David, but none of them have declared an interest.)

Right .. for example we have not yet heard from anyone from Microsoft ..

Now, PECL has a couple of CLA'd modules already. I don't like them being there, and you have stated your own opinion loud and clear. I think we should be looking for some way to separate out CLA'd PECL modules to elsewhere but leave the PECL structure in place for those modules. It's important to offer at least that much, because as long as the licensing is sound, CLA'd or not CLA'd doesn't impact end users - just contributors.

Well thanks to a separate PEAR channel, we have all the infrastructure easily setup to have a different place for users to pick up the code. Or are you more concerned about the CVS, than the distribution of the packages?

How about this one: there's PECLA (I like my babies), where CLA'd development takes place. pecla/module commit info goes to the pecl- cvs list, as with pecl/module commit info. On release, a PECLA module is no longer under CLA. It's copied to PECL, becomes a standard PECL module and is subject to all the normal PECL ins-and- out. PECLA development is effectively read-only, but _all_ of PECL development is open access. CLA'd modules currently in PECL would be moved to PECLA.

Why copy to PECL in this case? Shouldnt it just be part of the PHP distribution QA process?

regards,
Lukas