On Fri, 21 Mar 2008, Tex Texin wrote:

> I admit to being unclear on why DateFormatter conflicts with Date.
> I'll have to read the manuals later. Seems rather limiting if all
> names beginning with "Date" are now verboten. That said:
>
> A) Derick, Shifu, Can you (or anyone) demonstrate the name conflict? I
> think it should have been caught by testing if it exists. I'd like to
> reproduce the problem.

It's not only an issue for classes starting with Date actually. It's in
the CODING_STANDARDS:
http://cvs.php.net/viewvc.cgi/php-src/CODING_STANDARDS?view=annotate#l152

Classes should be given descriptive names. Avoid using abbreviations
where possible. Each word in the class name should start with a capital
letter, without underscore delimiters (CampelCaps starting with a
capital letter).  The class name should be prefixed with the name of the
'parent set' (e.g.  the name of the extension).

In this case, all of the classes in pecl/intl should start with Intl.
The reason for this is to not ever have conflicts between different
extensions.

> B) Name change proposals:
>
> 1) DatetimeFormatter
> 2) IntlDateFormatter