On 21/03/2008, Elizabeth M Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wow, noisy...
And having made the commit to the dox before the revert, I'm still
reeling/reading to try and see which way I would go...

>  I'd argue that a <?php= shortcut or something similar would help "split
>  the difference" between the ugliness of the long version and the need to
>  not break php every time an xml declaration pops up in a file.  Even
>  gettext has a nice _() function shortcut which is less typing than echo
>  $blah; in every php tag set, and then you wouldn't be fighting with the
>  potential breakage.  The argument that if some new syntax only goes into
>  5.3, people can't use it doesn't really hold water here because you
>  wouldn't be able to rely on flipping the short_tags switch before 5.3
>  either.
>
>  I can see both sides of the story, and really don't have a preference -
>  I'm curious as to the opinions of someone OTHER than Marcus, Stas,
>  Pierre and Jani ;)

If you saw ...

<?php $varname; ?>
or
<?php $varname ?>

what would you assume this meant?

>From this, I would say it isn't a function call as I would need to add () to
>it.
It is not an assignment or declaration.
If it was documented that a PHP statement consisting of just a
variable name would echo a string, then I think this would solve all
the problems of readability.

What would you assume a non programmer thought of it? If they were
told "this is how you put a PHP variable into a template" would they
just go with it?

Ok, again, I'm no internals expert.

Maybe the _$varname; would be more pleasing.

On the plus side there is only 1 PHP tag. No matter what happens <?php
will always be the PHP way. I see no need for <?= (and WTF the ASP
ones? I'm late to the PHP - only 5 years - but ...!)

--
-----
Richard Quadling