Hi,

I'm new to the internals, but I've been reading you for months... now, let me
ask,

Are there any security issues with short tags?
Is it really harder for the interpreter to have them enabled?
Is the short tags parsing code too hard to maintain?
Do they create a performance hit?
Do they create bad habits, why?
Does the patch for ini_set create a performance issue?
What ACTUAL situation makes you hate short tags? What code are you using to do
what such that you find short tags being evil?
Isn't it that you just don't like them, or don't like reading them in PHP code?

I personally hate <? ?>, but I like and use <?= ?>, it's just much more readable
and concise than <?php echo ... ?>. What if the parser would ignore <?xml, or
<?whatever except <?php and <?=. I don't know you guys, but every templating
system I've had to deal with is using them and every MVC framework out there is
using short tags for the views. And they only represent an issue if you have
some XML code you send through the PHP parser, and you can always use a
global/per-dir setting if you just don't like them.

+1 for the patch (if it doesn't create a performance or maintainability issue)
+1 to keep short tags into PHP (deprecate them if you want, but only remove them
in PHP 7 and provide a suitable alternative)

Regards,

Rob

Andrés Robinet | Lead Developer | BESTPLACE CORPORATION
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | MSN Chat: [EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  SKYPE: bestplace |
 Web: bestplace.biz  | Web: seo-diy.com