2009/12/7 Michael Shadle <mike...@gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 2:01 AM, Michael Shadle <mike...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Antony Dovgal <t...@daylessday.org> wrote:
>>
>>> That's the thing I want to avoid, actually.
>>> Moving something out of PHP just because you're afraid of its release cycles
>>> means you make it harder to maintain, not easier.
>>
>> Even if it is just the management component of it?
>>
>> Any of the PHP internals will still stay inside of PHP. It will only
>> be the daemon portion that tells the new SAPI how to behave (spawn
>> more under this pool, kill this child, do that?) etc?

Before integration of php-fpm in the official php tree I agreed with
you about separating daemon stuff out of php tree and include only
necessary functions (communication about spawning, chroot, ...) in
php-fastcgi (cgi sapi).

But as it's been totaly included as an independant sapi, I don't see
any benefit to split. The fpm sapi would be only a patch version of
the cgi sapi in order to work exclusively with an external software.
This is illogical to me. And as tony has worked on this integration it
would be a waste of time to change this.

I hear you concerns about frequency of releases. Why don't follow
patch against official release on the php-fpm website or something
like that ? We have some thinking to do to find a solution that
pleases everyone.

> Or, perhaps move it into PECL at least?

What PECL can help here ? Is PECL just a compiled packages library for PHP ?