On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 6:47 PM, Dmitry Stogov <dmi...@zend.com> wrote:
> Before now each major (5.y+1) release introduced API changes.
> We just couldn't introduce literal tables, interned strings, etc without API
> changes.
>
> However such API breaks where invisible for user-land and most extensions,
> they required a lot of changes in O+, APC, xdebug, etc.
>
> But, in case we freeze the API we just won't be able to add many future
> improvements.

Userland BC must be kept between x.y and x.y+1, that's the primary
goal of this section. PHP userland is only about API compatibility and
how PHP behaves.

However, what you refer to is about internals API. We can (and did a
lot) break ABI between x.y and x.y+1 and should really avoid breaking
API (read: signatures, source compatibility) if possible.

To make it more clear, here are some good explanations about API and ABI:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3784389/difference-between-api-and-abi
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_binary_interface
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_programming_interface

--