Pierre,

Doing a release could be simplified through automation as you've said.
However keeping synchronized patches across frequently incompatible
(non-identical) code bases is much less trivial and requires quite a
bit of work by anyone making the bug fixes. Having >3 branches for bug
fixes makes this very non-trivial and time consuming, which is why
Johannes' proposal is so appealing.