Hi!

The way I see it, we can't employ the voting part of this RFC unless
we can agree on rules on how this voting works;  It's fine that we
don't decide exactly how we're going to do it.  But then, it means
that we don't get to do it until we do decide.

Well, we'd have to vote somehow, e.g. on RFC itself :) I agree that before that (and including array syntax) votes were kind of haphazard and we need to do better. So let's have the voting process RFC. I took the liberty of capturing your email, with minimal edits, here: https://wiki.php.net/rfc/voting - please edit/rewrite as you wish. I did not add anything about percentages etc. there as I have no idea how we could formalize it :)

What makes the most sense to me is to separate the decision making
process into another RFC altogether.  If people feel it's premature

I don't think it's premature, quite the opposite. I just think we need to have agreement of release process in general (so we could start with the actual release process) and then work out details as they come up. The first of those would be the voting RFC. I'm just afraid substantial changes in the release RFC mean we need to have new discussion about it and take more time to do it, and in the meantime we have nothing at all, so we have to either start the release process without anything at all or delay it until we figure out every last fine detail. I'd rather have general principles down and when we get to the fine details we'd deal with them.
--
Stanislav Malyshev, Software Architect
SugarCRM: http://www.sugarcrm.com/