On 2011-06-05, Zeev Suraski <z...@zend.com> wrote:
> I'm fine if the entire 'Feature selection and development' part goes
> out of the RFC, but if there's any reference to how features are
> determined, we'd better get it right.
>
> Making changes once we've approved this RFC is going to be much
> tougher.  This is big stuff - it's no coincidence we didn't have such
> guidelines for almost 15 years.
>
> Honestly there are other parts about the voting process that are much
> hotter potatoes than the points I brought up - such as who gets to
> vote,

This is a tough one. I'm typically in favor of having the vote be
completely open to anybody. However, since we're talking language
features, there are a lot of other considerations -- internals folks
will have a much better idea of what the BC and support ramifications
are.

Perhaps two votes should be considered? A "general population" vote, and
an "internals" vote? This would show discrepancies between what users of
PHP want, and how internals is voting. If internals votes against a
feature that the general population has approved, I would expect to see
some sort of "executive summary" showing what technical issues are at
play that led to the internals vote. This would serve as a good
historical record -- and also potentially show where bias lies within
the internals community.

> is 50%+1 enough or do we need stronger majorities for substantial
> language changes (67%/75%),

I think anything less than a strong majority (2/3 or 3/4) often is
indicative of either ambivalence or strongly competing ideas. The
question is where that threshold should be set (I'd lean towards 2/3
vote.)

> can someone who failed passing an RFC just put it up for another vote
> right away or is there some sort of a cool-off period,

I'd argue a 2-3 week period in which to re-work the proposal and
incorporate feedback from the prior discussion/voting periods.

--
Matthew Weier O'Phinney
Project Lead            | matt...@zend.com