On Sun, Jun 5, 2011 at 5:20 PM, Pierre Joye <pierre....@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd to go with a 60% for language syntax, 50+1 for new exts or sapis.
> Other question is who can vote. For one, I like to have external
> people being able to vote, like frameworks/apps lead developers as
> well as @php.net in general (docs people at the same level than core
> devs, no diff).

I have a little proposition here.

I'm not —at least currently— known for any app or framework, but I'd like my
voice to count, that is, if and only if the rest of the community thinks I
make sane arguments that are worth considering.

I'm perfectly aware that the fame one could gain from taking production code
to visible success should be an indicator of an educated opinion, however, I
think this might lead to a closed group who can vote, and I like the
openness of this community, even if the general process is chaotic, it still
gets the warm and fuzzy feeling of an open source community.

OTOH, if a completely open group's votes were all considered, the final
decision could just end up being a matter of numbers outnumbering other
numbers. If I get it right, this is the current problem.

So my proposal is that the voting privilege could be given on the basis of a
*web of trust*, and if I'm not mistaken this is a little like what the
concept of karma works here (I'm fairly new here). Not sure if there should
be a voting to elect voters or if it could/should be something more lax, but
I don't think the requirement to vote should be fame.

Best regards,

David