Am 02.09.2011 22:57, schrieb Johannes Schlüter:
On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 22:48 +0200, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:
On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 10:44 PM, Stas Malyshev<smalys...@sugarcrm.com>  wrote:
Hi!

On 9/2/11 1:41 PM, Ferenc Kovacs wrote:

I think you missed the referenced [1]:

[1] Yes, we will still allow building with libmysql and we will fix bugs
reported there and we will verify it works but focus on mysqlnd, as
we're actually handling it already

I did not miss it - I do not see what it means. Either we support both - and
then for the matter of development and testing nothing changes - or
something changes, namely "we remove one moving piece out of the test
equation", the moving piece being libmysql - and "remove" means "remove". I
just don't see how you can have both of these things at the same time.

I think that Johannes means that mysqld would be the preferred or
baseline for the mysql tests.
maybe supporting IE6 would be a good metaphor: you could say that you
support every browser equally, or you could say that you write your
stuff for the modern browsers and tests it against IE6 and fix where
necessary.
Johannes, is this what you had in mind?

Thanks, I like your analogy and don't have a better one.

Let's see if I get it right.

Johannes and I say:

 - libmysql support is there and it will stay there
 - libmysql shall continue to be supported
 - tests shall be written in a portable way, whenever possible

We furthermore said, let me put it straigt:

- we failed to catch some libmysql/MySQL/test version combination portability issues - shit happens, sorry for that
 - testing any extension that has external dependencies is a pain

I think, such a statement is quite a big step towards your test concerns, Stas. Ultimately, I still don't get what you (Stas) are after with the test discussion. Have I missed any of your worries?

Ulf