Chris,

>>> Does this need to be an RFC (should I draft one)? Or can it just be
>>> pulled as-is?
>

> It needs an RFC because it needs to document whether or not the other
> DB drivers should also be changed.

It's a PDO driver-specific change. So to me it's fairly straight
forward to see that no other drivers need changing... It doesn't even
hit the mysql API level...

Not saying an RFC isn't needed, just that justification isn't clear to me...

> The big problem with this line of reasoning is that the client must
> know exactly the same dialect of SQL/XQUERY/whatever that the server
> does.  Since we can't predict the future, and so a new DB might
> introduce some funky syntax, then client preparing could break visibly
> or invisibly.  The DB client & DB server code architecture needs to
> head to a model where server side prepares work (and are easy etc).

We're talking about the MySQL specific API, not all APIs. We're not
talking about removing emulation support either. Just disabling it by
default for MySQL just like it is for almost every other driver
supported by PDO...

Anthony