Thanks everyone, I didn't remember thinking about this so was
impulsively curious. Dug a little now, so here's what happened:

  Proposal to internals (July 14, 2012) with discussion July 14-18:
  ------------------

                more "yes" than "maybe" approved.
    Conclusion: No clear decision was reached.

  The patch:
  ------------------
    Patch: https://github.com/php/php-src/pull/132
    Pull:  http://git.php.net/?p=php-src.git;a=commitdiff;h=c9eb641

                several tweaks, then pulled.
    Conclusion: Merged/pulled into master on August 4, 2012.

  What happened:
  ------------------
    - The PHP logo GUIDs were removed, and replaced with data URIs
      in phpinfo() and friends.
    - BC: Removed four *_logo_* functions, and GUID usage.
    - E_DEPRECATED was not used beforehand, nor doc updates, they
      were simply removed. FWIW, also no RFC.

It's understandable how a minimally used feature can be changed and
removed without much worry/thought. But, they appear to be the only
functions removed in 5.5, and this helps it feel even easier to not
break BC for this not-so-important change.

Proposal: I propose we revert this change. Future consideration might
include E_DEPRECATED for these functions in 5.5, although I am not
proposing that part. Seems sensible, though.

Regards,
Philip