On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:31 PM, Sharon Levy <iam4webw...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]

Well, let's see ... what is the current status quo?

Currently, all voters have VCS accounts, meaning that they already are
at least one of:

a) C code contributors
b) documentation contributors
c) contributing to the php.net website or something else but similar

It is written somewhere that maintainers of popular userland
frameworks and tools _could_ get voting privileges, but the voters
from this group are voters because they already have VCS accounts for
other purposes. It is otherwise undefined how that happens - this is
as close as you can get to the meaning of "status quo" as far as
userland people are concerned.

What this basically means is that currently you ARE required to either
know C and PHP's internals, or to take care of all the not really fun
(for a programmer) stuff that surrounds it.
It that hasn't encouraged more people to contribute, how would taking
away non-C-contributors' votes be an encouragement? If I was a php-doc
contributor, that would be you showing me the middle finger, not
encouragement.

Sure, it would change the status quo, but for the worse.

Cheers,
Andrey.