On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Andrey Andreev <n...@devilix.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 10:31 PM, Sharon Levy <iam4webw...@hotmail.com>

+1 I agree completely.

This discussion has raised another issue though that I think merits further
consideration:  What standards do we use to give VCS accounts-- or karma,
for that matter.  As many have pointed out already, we don't currently have
a consistent, quantifiable standard for either of these.  This can lead to
some people getting VCS creds who may not have actually done anything to
merit that, at least according to some people here.  Likewise, there is no
specific standard for giving people karma; just a vague understanding that
those who contribute "enough" will eventually maybe get it.

If you want to tackle the problem of new people not being motivated to
contribute, that's probably the #1 (or maybe #2, behind the steep learning
curve) reason why there's an absense of fresh faces submitting code.  As
someone who has been a project manager over the years, I can tell you that
nothing motivates people more than giving them set goals to achieve and
rewards for achieving them.  For example, if you contribute x number of
patches, resolve y number of bugs, z number of pull requests, etc, you'll
qualify for basic karma.  That would provide a quantifiable incentive and I
guarantee you we'll get people who will start contributing in order to meet
that goal and get that feather in their cap.  Right now, most people don't
even know who grants karma, how to request it, or when it's appropriate to
request it.  The current, "Just contribute steadily over time and we'll
see" message may have the advantage of giving us greater discretion, but it
does nothing to motivate people to participate.

As far as VCS access goes, having specific metrics like that probably
wouldn't be feasible since it's much more of a case-by-case basis sorta
thing.  We could establish some general guidelines, though.  To prevent VCS
accounts from being given out frivolously, as some have complained, I
suggest we treat each qualifying VCS request as an RFC.  The person
("sponsor"?) who thinks they should be added adds an RFC, outlining the
person's experience and why s/he qualifies for VCS access.  Then we vote
and simple majority wins.

I think it would be beneficial for us to draft an RFC that establishes
these changes.  That way, we can address the concerns raised by those who
believe that VCS-- and, with it, voting rights-- is being given out too
easily, while also maintaining the inclusiveness of the current voting
system.  It would also have the added benefit of encouraging more people to
contribute.  When people like me live such busy lives and spend all day
writing code at work, that little bit of incentive really helps.

Thoughts?

--Kris