Hi Stellan,

>Hello Marcio,
> I am inclined to vote no for a couple of reasons:

> 1. This is not a BC-break, I would move the vote to PHP 7.1. The
reasoning behind this is that the tools in the ecosystem will have a lot
> of work to get on par with PHP 7 (talking here about stuff like phpmd,
phpcpd, phploc, newrelic, codeclimate, ides, etc). Since this is
> not as resonant as the other changes for 7, I would give those people
some breathing room.

Well, we already have new shiny features for PHP that would require
updates: for instance the return typehints and possibly the scalar type
hints. Any code analyzer that would like to stay relevant will need to
update anyway and perhaps updating these tools is much easier than you
think :) if you see the patch it's quite minimal and the syntax is easy to
parse.

I could compromise to send pull requests and update some of these tools (at
least the open source ones) in time for PHP7 release.

Other reasons to show you this is not a blocker and tailoring the RFC for
7.1 is not the best choice:

 - It will take a while until we see projects with PHP7 as a minimum
version requirements so if we want the feature it's a good idea to add it
to a major release.

 - Feature freeze date is possibly March, 2015, possible release date is
Mid October 201. This means we will have plenty of time to update tooling.
This should not hold any language :)

> 2. I am not a big fan of the syntax, I would much more like a python
style syntax (yes, I am aware it requires a new reserver keyword)

:) I have a hunch that a python copy syntax will not be proposed because of
the BC break you just mentioned ^

Other languages are using glob braces syntax and it simply works :) Perhaps
you could give it a chance. Many people reply to me saying that they
preferred python syntax but after a while they started to like the proposed
syntax too, for PHP.

This is a very basic feature and I strongly believe that, after all the
research and discussion, it's a good fit for PHP. Perhaps you might want to
read the discussion again before take your decision. See the previously
discarded options and the reasons why they were discarded. Maybe you might
end up agreeing that the current proposed syntax is a good choice.

Thanks for opening dialog and bringing legit questions before take a
decision. Good voting!

Sincerely,
Márcio Almada