On 10/11/15 00:49, Rasmus Lerdorf wrote:
>> November 30 is Cyber Monday, where people are either
>> >
>> > a) focused on maxing out their credit cards on every possible e-commerce
>> > site, or
>> > b) unable to roll out PHP 7 because their customers are busy with a)
>> >
>> > At least at Heroku we have a blackout policy around Thanksgiving and
>> > Christmas for platform changes, and I'd imagine other hosting platforms do
>> > as well.
>> >
>> > So maybe either Tuesday, or even better, Thursday, since that's release
>> > day anyway.
> Let's be realistic. This is not a critical security fix for production
> servers. This is a .0.0 release. For developers this marks the point
> where they need to start making upgrade plans if they haven't already. I
> realize for Heroku and the few similar cloud computing services out
> there it might be slightly different in that you want to be quick to
> provide the first golden PHP 7 to your customers.
>
> My only concern with the timing is whether we are adding undue
> inconvenience to our RM team and all the other folks on our side that
> are affected by a release.

Anybody moving their current stable infrastructure to PHP7 without fully
testing deserves everything they get? PHP7 should be 'rolled out' as a
secondary option for savy users who understand the implications since
the code base WILL need to be reworked before it becomes a stable
replacement for the current PhP5.x infrastructure. Actually a cloud
service getting something out as a taster for PHP7 before the holiday
could only be helpful since it would give more eyes on real world
migration problems in much the same way that PHP5 roll-out was probably
helped by RC's being available on some hosting services back then. ARE
any cloud services providing that facility today with PHP7 RC's?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL