> Any new system would require
> every third party tool to be adapted to use it

That's not true at all. A new syntax would in no way invalidate parsing
annotations from docblocks.

The only legacy code that is supported by IDEs (if they are, PHPStorm will
not hint/autocomplete, nor will eclipse/netbeans) would be
Symfony2/Doctrine2. There are tons of other tools that with custom
annotations (JMSSerializer as an example) that do not have any support at
all.

This argument is so flawed that you didn't consider that there are many
parsers with many different syntaxes (
https://github.com/jan-swiecki/php-simple-annotations,
https://github.com/nette/neon) and that ANY implementation, be it through
docblocks or with a native syntax would require a rewrite anyway for many
projects if those tools want to support the new native feature.

Also, doing it through an extension is a nice way to delay adoption,
because shared hosts rarely give the option to install new extensions.

I don't have a vote here, but if I had, I'd strongly oppose any
docblock-based implementation.