Larry Garfield wrote on 25/11/2015 16:42:
However, doing so would make static checking more difficult; If annotations become a language-native feature, they should be a first-class citizen to make it easier for IDEs to handle.

Could you explain why docblocks are harder to parse than text outside docblocks? As far as I know, IDEs *already* parse docblocks, e.g. using @param and @return for type analysis, so I don't really see why generalising that would be a big problem.